Preparing for Your Newborn Session!
I look forward to capturing photos of your new little one!
Here are a few tips to make the most of your newborn session:
- Please book an appointment with me 2-3 months before the baby is born to ensure I have time in my schedule. The ideal time for capturing newborns is between the ages of 5-14 days. If the baby is born early or late, we can always adjust the time of the appointment.
- Plan on between 2-2 ½ hours for a newborn session. I will have my studio very warm so you may want to dress yourself accordingly. If the session also includes parents and/or siblings, plan on up to 3 hours.
- Try to keep your baby awake for 1 or more hours before the session so they are sleepy. You may want to give them a sponge bath before the session to help make them sleepy later.
- Try to time the feeding so that the baby will eat when you arrive at the studio (try to arrive 10 minutes ahead of appointment time). Please come in and feed the baby in the studio.
- Once you arrive at my studio, we will undress the baby. Bring your little one in loose fitting clothing so that there are minimal clothing indentations.
- Please let me know if you have any specific set ups you would like ahead of time so I can have those ready.
What to bring:
- Bring at least 2 bottles for baby (or if you are nursing, any supplies for that). I suggest bringing a bottle of expressed milk or formula, otherwise nursing is fine too. I am a huge supporter of breast feeding but for this session it makes it a little easier if I can feed the baby and have the baby bond to me for this session. Also, getting the baby into a “milk coma” helps to assure we get lots of those sleeping baby, posed shots.
- Please bring a few pacifiers. Even if the baby isn’t normally interested in a pacifier, I find they will often eagerly take a pacifier during the photo session and it helps to calm them and settle them into a pose.
- You are welcome to bring any special items you would like to incorporate, such as theme items or family heirlooms. Send me a text with pictures of the items at least one week ahead of time so that I can plan accordingly.
- If we are doing photos of the baby with Mom and Dad, please bring an extra top. Sometimes I like to do these photos with the baby undressed but snuggled into Mom or Dad's hands (no private parts are exposed). But there is the chance that Mom or Dad may be exposed to some poo or pee during this process.....so maybe bring an extra top :)
Keep in mind:
- Chances are your baby will cry and that's ok, I am used to soothing newborns. It will feel like there is so much time being spent soothing your baby, but that's ok I am still getting a lot of great shots of your little one between the soothings and set up changes. I’m also use to getting pooped and peed on – so no worries if this happens as well!
- Feel free to bring a book, and relax.
Family and/or siblings with the newborn:
- I prefer to do photos that include the sibling/s at the beginning of the session. My studio is located in the back room of an old fashioned “Feed Store” so I don’t have a place to entertain children during the newborn session. I ask that parents make arrangements for the sibling/s to be present just for the portion of the session they are needed for.
Payment and selecting your images:
- The session fee is due at the time of the session (check or cash).
- About 7-10 days after your session I will have your photo gallery ready and will email you the link and directions on how to send me your final selections. I will edit a few of my favorite photos and the rest of the photos will be only lightly edited.
- Once you have selected your digital images, I will edit the photos (if they are not already edited) and put them into a new web gallery and make them available for you to download directly to your computer. Allow up to 2 weeks for me to have the photos edited but I will strive to get them to you sooner.
- For printing your images, I recommend Harolds or MPix.com.
Please let me know if you have any questions! I look forward to meeting you and your little one!